Thursday, July 4, 2019

Rocks

For many years almost my entire life I have picked up and collected rocks... It is a curse I got from my grandfather.

Sometimes I just set the pieces around and sometimes I put them in boxes to play with later.  
I realized that each rock tells a story of geologic time.  Times of  immense stresses where the planet was torn and pushed.  When it was drowned and frozen or burned.  It takes special circumstances for certain elements to form into crystal.   For example. Opals are the remains of a fossilized ocean.  Petrified wood is a fossilized opalized tree that drowned a long long time ago. 
Pumice and obsidian are both ejected from a volcano creating the land we walk on.  

Right now I am playing with a stone that shows how the crust we live on was folded and layered over eons. I also have an agate which holds a lace work pattern deep in it's heart.
Agate in light
Folded rock

Illuminated agate

No comments: